EPOs in critical facilities

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Wed Aug 21 21:28:48 UTC 2002

On Wed, 21 Aug 2002, Deepak Jain wrote:
> We have seen disgruntled Union members hit the EPO in data centers in
> Union-friendly cities.
>
> Not pretty outcome, no matter how much redundancy you have.

I believe the Uptime Institute has some statistics showing EPO problems
are one of the top five reasons for critical facility outages.

Almost no telco CO's have facility-wide EPOs.

Equinix facilities do not have facility-wide EPOs.

> Fire code is not compatible with Union rules.

The fire code is your friend.  Learn it, use it, follow it.  It doesn't
always say what everything thinks it says.  Following the code, you can
build a telecommunications facility without an EPO next to every door.