IETF SMTP Working Group Proposal at smtpng.org

Jared Mauch jared at puck.Nether.net
Wed Aug 21 20:25:35 UTC 2002

	I'm not saying it's a solution for all problems
but that lets-say-for-example,

	AOL probally gets a lot of mail with forged yahoo,hotmail,
btamail.net.cn or smiliar MAIL FROM:<>'s

	Lets say AOL, hotmail, yahoo all today had a way they
could say "we would like to cooperate in validating source addresses
as at least somewhat more valid than today" and had a mechanisim to
do this with a patch to sendmail/qmail/postfix/zmailer.

	This would allow for while a few extra commands and bytes
per smtp-transaction the ability to authenticate such data.

	You could also then start keeping statistics and rate-limit
the callback mechanisim.  AOL (and i'm sure others) have done "so,
you want to bulk-mail aol users, sign here".  Including this
ability to increase customer satisfaction is in all ISPS
interest today.

	- jared

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20020820/ap_wo_en_po/fea_us_spammed_war_of_attrition_1

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net