IETF SMTP Working Group Proposal at smtpng.org

william at elan.net william at elan.net
Wed Aug 21 19:35:21 UTC 2002

SPAM is neither stricly legal or technical nor social problem, but
preventing it is a challenge in technical, legal and social areas.

Social challenge (stopping spam before it happened): Educate people and
companies about harm of SPAM, educate users not to accept something
that spammer may offer and companies from providing advertising
revenue to spammers.

Technical challenge (stop spam from being delivered): Try to prevent
spammers from being able send email directly to ISP servers and make best
effort to prevent spammers from abusing other system resources.

Legal challenge (stop spam after its delived by provide ways to
compensate for harm that was done): Define what SPAM, outlaw it and
provide legal mechanisms  to go after spammers. Provide working legal
mechanisms for prosecuting those that abuse network resources and ways to
compensate owner when it happens.

Neither of the above is sufficient on itself but all together it should
allow us to stop it. I'm engineer - that is why I want to focus on
technical issue, if there are those who will do better at social
or legal challenge I welcome your involvement there.