.mil domain root only hosted by one server??

Vinny Abello vinny at tellurian.com
Wed Aug 21 19:46:22 UTC 2002

I just stumbled across something I thought was interesting. All the .mil
domain names used by the U.S. Military are served by one single root
server. I thought that was a bit odd. I'm sure that one server is more than
enough to handle the queries for all the .mil domains with no problem, but
it doesn't seem very redundant or safe at all. Especially for something our
military uses. There's something that could be beefed up a little bit. My
other thought (which others may know) was that perhaps the military runs
G.ROOT-SERVERS.NET and I'm just not aware of it. Maybe it's a policy to
only run .mil on what they can control? Even still, I think it might be in
their best interest to setup a few more.

These are the results I got when I queried A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET:

; <<>> DiG 9.2.1 <<>> @a.root-servers.net mil.
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;mil.                           IN      A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
mil.                    86400   IN      SOA     G.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
HOSTMASTER.N
IC.mil. 2002082000 3600 900 1209600 86400

;; Query time: 390 msec
;; SERVER: 198.41.0.4#53(a.root-servers.net)
;; WHEN: Wed Aug 21 15:38:58 2002
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 90

I'd like comments from anyone with more information on this. I'm just
curious as to why it is this way and what the reasoning behind it is. Maybe
I'll email hostmaster.nic.mil and ask. ;)

Vinny Abello
Network Engineer
Server Management
vinny at tellurian.com
(973)300-9211 x 125
(973)940-6125 (Direct)
PGP Key Fingerprint: 3BC5 9A48 FC78 03D3 82E0  E935 5325 FBCB 0100 977A

http://www.tellurian.com (888)TELLURIAN