IETF SMTP Working Group Proposal at smtpng.org

Mark Segal MSegal at FUTUREWAY.CA
Wed Aug 21 19:11:59 UTC 2002

> It's almost to the point to where mail servers need their own
> "registrar", sort of the way domains are tracked now, track
> mail servers.  Give mail server admins the option to accept
> mail from registered mail servers only or from any mail
> server.  Of course there would need to be a ramp up period,
> like six months to a year, to make sure all of your mail
> servers are registered.  And of course one should only be
> able to register mail servers if the IP space is actually
> SWIP to them.  If the IP space is NOT SWIP, it would need to
> be registered by the customer ISP or via owners rwhois
> server.  Just my $.02; for what it's worth....

Really good idea (no sarcasm, I actually like it).. But what stops spammers
from registering their mail server?..Ie..
	1) Get a dsl account
	2) Ips get swipped to you
	3) Register the server
	4) SPAM
	5) Apologize, get a second chance
	6) get booted off
	7) Call the next ISP with a zero install
	8) Rinse and repeat.

Regards,
Mark

--