your mail

N. Richard Solis nrsolis at aol.net
Tue Aug 20 20:39:36 UTC 2002

Leaving or forcing doors to be propped open generally triggers an alarm that
prompts a visit from someone in security.  It is entirely possible that
someone who worked at the facility informed the security staff of what they
were doing because they needed to leave the door open to fetch a package or
something that was going to be moved through that door.  It's also entirely
possible that someone working there was violating the security policy
entirely.  That happens as well.  I would need many more fingers and toes to
count the number of sleeping guards I've caught at colo sites.

The point is: people do dumb things that compromise security for everyone in
order to make their own lives easier.  A good security plan anticipates
these lapses and puts measures in place to deal with them.

If you haven't worked in an environment where you had to turn in your
cellphone and pager at the front desk, show a badge to a camera around every
corner, and get your office keys from a vending machine you dont know what
real security looks like.