Dave Farber comments on Re: Major Labels v. Backbones

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Sun Aug 18 15:17:04 UTC 2002

At 03:07 PM 8/17/2002 -0700, Vadim Antonov wrote:

 >On 17 Aug 2002, Paul Vixie wrote:

 >> I want to know what the homeland security department is likely to do
 >> about all this, not what is good/bad for the citizens of hostile
 >> nations or even nonhostile nations.
 >
 >Likely nothing, unless they are complete incompetents.  The point is:
 >there's no feasible way to achieve any gains by restricting access on
 >per-country basis.

I doubt they are complete incompetents, but they are
politicians.  Sometimes people who are interested in a sound-bite or
press-release do things which look, at least in retrospect, as stupid so
they can garner some instant public reaction.

IOW: They may know it will not do any good, but they may do it any way for
a front-page headline.  Or at least to look like they are doing something.

At least that is my fear.

--
TTFN,
patrick