Major Labels v. Backbones

Majdi S. Abbas msa at samurai.sfo.dead-dog.com
Sun Aug 18 02:33:45 UTC 2002

On Sat, Aug 17, 2002 at 05:04:05PM -0400, Jared Mauch wrote:
> >   --The service provider must not determine the recipients of the material.
>
> 	One could argue (in theory) that a routing-table lookup
> may satisfy this.

	I'm not so sure.  Generally speaking, a destination network is a
given ISP, not a given individual.  And it's highly impractical for an ISP
to know the /individual/ a packet is destined for from the address.

> >   --The material must be transmitted with no modification to its content.
>
> 	Same theory here also, where one decrements ttl, since we are
> talking about ip packets here.

	I believe they're referring to copyrighted material which is
wholly contained in the payload of the packets involved.

> 	Either way, this is an interesting test case and I do
> hope it receives immediate dismissal.  This would be like asking
> the phone company to turn off phone service for people that arrange
> drug deals or similar.  Not something that I see happening.

	I have to say I expect this one to be disposed of pretty quickly,
but we'll see...

	--msa