Dave Farber comments on Re: Major Labels v. Backbones

Stephen J. Wilcox steve at opaltelecom.co.uk
Sat Aug 17 20:30:12 UTC 2002

Digital data is much easier to move that the physical items of economic
blockades which are also restricted not only by customs but by them appearing on
accounts etc which should declare enough info to show a business was acting
illegally by sending to a blockaded nation.

In telecoms (inc ISP) you can simply shift the data through a couple of
intermediaries and circumvent the restriction. With IP, the blockaded nation can
even source IPs that make it look as tho its from another nation - who will find
out.

If its on CDROM again just send through an intermediary, its small and easy
enough, not exactly a logistics puzzle..

And I really dont see the point on restricting software (crypto) which is freely
and publically available in one country (ie US) - its so easy to get the
technology into the restricted countries. Just a waste of bureaucratic cash and
keeping someone in a job somewhere imho.

Why waste time, effort and cash on things so futile! Stick to economic sanctions
which are enforcable!

Steve