Max Prefixes Configured on Customer BGP

Joe Wood joew at accretive-networks.net
Fri Aug 16 01:22:01 UTC 2002

On Thu, 15 Aug 2002, Peter E. Fry wrote:

> On 15 Aug 2002 at 17:38, Joe Wood wrote:
> > It's been my experience that a lot of the providers that do prefix
> > filtering on customer BGP sessions take great amounts of time before they
> > act on the prefix-filter update request. This much fun when it's 5pm or
> > later and you really need to announce a new customer netblock.
>
>   How often do you run into that situation?
>   I understand that you may not like it when you do, but a little
> planning on someone's part somewhere down the line eases the pain for
> everyone.

I can say all but one of my past transit providers has taken an
unappropriate amount of time to do filter updates, especially after-hours.

Proper planning is fine, when you have all the correct information. I've
run into situations more than once where a customer will not provide us
with the correct information until the last minute.

Joe