Microslosh vision of the future

Karsten W. Rohrbach karsten at rohrbach.de
Tue Aug 13 00:16:23 UTC 2002

Brad Knowles(brad.knowles at skynet.be)@2002.08.12 22:47:31 +0000:
> At 9:41 AM -0400 2002/08/12, William Warren wrote:
>
> >  StarOffice to the rescue.
>
> 	Only until they change the file format again.  Microsoft can
> afford to change the file format on an even daily basis, and come out
> with patches for the previous patches, and call them all "security
> patches" so that everyone is either forced to apply them or dump
> Microsoft altogether.
>
> 	Open source projects can't possibly afford to keep up, if
> Microsoft decides to go down this road.

opensource projects need to converge efforts in designing new data
formats, file formats being just a serialized representation of data in
mem. being fully portable between several (OSS) applications will bring
the giant to its knees. of course, all of you know that, and this is not
operational content, i'm silent again ;-)

regards,
/k

--
> Q: What do you get when you cross Dracula with a used car dealer?
> A: autoexec.bat
WebMonster Community Project -- Reliable and quick since 1998 -- All on BSD
http://www.webmonster.de/ - ftp://ftp.webmonster.de/ - http://www.rohrbach.de/
GnuPG:   0xDEC948A6 D/E BF11 83E8 84A1 F996 68B4  A113 B393 6BF4 DEC9 48A6
REVOKED: 0x2964BF46 D/E 42F9 9FFF 50D4 2F38 DBEE  DF22 3340 4F4E 2964 BF46
REVOKED: 0x4C44DA59 RSA F9 A0 DF 91 74 07 6A 1C  5F 0B E0 6B 4D CD 8C 44
My mail is GnuPG signed -- Unsigned ones are bogus -- http://www.gnupg.org/
Please do not remove my address from To: and Cc: fields in mailing lists. 10x