your mail

JC Dill nanog at vo.cnchost.com
Mon Aug 12 15:56:04 UTC 2002

 >> All of the evidence I could gather indicate that it did, in fact, happen
 >> in at least some form. At the very least, other employees (whom I have
 >> know for years) said that he was gone, as of the date in question. They
 >> were not told the cause (as would be expected in most companies).

When I did my own investigation into this, I was told the person in question:

 >was not giving a warning, was not given a second chance,
 >was not already on any kind of performance plan, had many strong
 >ties in the organization since he had been here for over 3 1/2
 >years, and is also currently unemployed with no hopes of getting
 >any jobs at this point.

I learned this information (with varying levels of detail) from 2 different
independent sources, once a while ago (when the incident first happened),
once recently reconfirmed.

I really wish I was in a hiring position right now.  There are an awful lot
of GOOD people out there who need jobs and who can do awesome work.  It's a
wonderful time to startup a company, you can hire really good people for
far less than it cost 2-4 years ago (because inflated salaries have come
back down to realistic levels).  If only you can shake the startup money
loose from a VC, which is only possible if you have a *real* business plan.

jc