Microslosh vision of the future

Gerardo A. Gregory ggregory at affinitas.net
Mon Aug 12 15:10:56 UTC 2002

Alif wrote:

<snip>

I guess you didn't actually read this, did you?  It makes no difference what
you use at home, if that machine can't talk to the rest of the world.

<end snip>

     Ummm....yes I actually read it.  I doubt that if Microsoft wants to
implement the Palladium (signatures, etc on software) everyone will follow
suit.  There are many platforms that do not depended (or could care less) on
Microsoft (Intel, Alpha platforms only [OS]).  Mac being the strongest (no
intel processor, and office for MAC doesnt count as an OS [although it does
for apps]) in the end-user (home) user market.  Sun uses SPARC processors,
Cisco uses (mostly), etc.
    Now as crude as this sounds Microsoft has no influence in the halls
beyond their direct partners and developers, etc.

    The day Palladium is used by every (chip, OS, and Application) vendor is
the day my FreeBSD system has a Network Neighborhood icon and sends 1,000
NetBios Broadcasts every few minutes.
    WINS will no longer needs to query DNS servers as WINS will be the only
"standard" throughout the internet.  Because of this we will all run some
flavor of NetBios (Over TCP/IP, and for the Novell folks over SPX/IPX) or
NetBui.

    Let's not forget, that as strong as Microsoft looks or pretends to be,
they did not build the NET (their wanna-be contributions or "replacements"
are at times very humorous or outright senseless).

     The Bill Gates UTOPIA......NOT!