Do ATM-based Exchange Points make sense anymore?

Paul Vixie vixie at vix.com
Sat Aug 10 09:21:21 UTC 2002

warning: i've had one "high gravity steel reserve" over my quota.  hit D now.

> The issue I'm trying to address is to figure out how to extend the robustness
> that can be achieved with tuned IGP's with subsecond convergence across
> an exchange point without suffering a one to five minute delay blackholing
> packets.

why on god's earth would subsecond anything matter in a nonmilitary situation?

are you willing to pay a cell tax AND a protocol complexity tax AND a device
complexity tax to make this happen?  do you know what that will do do your
TCO and therefore your ROI?  you want to pay this tax 100% of the time even
though your error states will account for less than 0.001% of the time?  you
want to have the complexity as your most likely source of (false positive)
error?

> As far as I understand, this "complexity" just got added with Neighbor
> Discovery on IPv6.

if so, then, you misunderstand.
--
Paul Vixie