Do ATM-based Exchange Points make sense anymore?

Nenad Trifunovic nenad.trifunovic at wcom.com
Fri Aug 9 21:16:00 UTC 2002

It appears that for analysis purposes one has to separate access
from switching. How much payload one brings to the exchange depends
on port speed and protocol overhead. In that light, Frame Relay
can bring similar amount of payload as Ethernet (comparable overhead)
and preserve good properties of ATM (traffic flow separation).

Regards,
nenad

p.s.
both juniper 160 and cisco gsr can handle oc-48 frame relay, and
they don't seem to be frame relay switches