NANOG, its decline in s/n

David Diaz davediaz at smoton.net
Thu Aug 8 15:59:17 UTC 2002

I would go along with that.  Not to create a 'loop' here.  But if you
think about what you said, you can be correct, but still not be able
to change the behavior, nor should we try.

A newbie or someone that might not 'know' the resume of the replier,
does a post on something of great importance to him.  He is unsure of
the solution himself, and receives a wonderful response from a
veteran on the list.  Let's be honest here, most of the pros will
post a very brief but curt reply.  They dont have time to waste but
want to be helpful.  The newbie not knowing the backround of a Sean
or a Manning, will question the brief advice since it is their router
(etc) they are about to type COMMIT into.  That makes the Pro feel
like his advice was unheeded.

In reality, it comes across as arrogant for us to expect the newbie
not to question the advice.  I am not saying it IS in fact arrogant
but it does come across that way. And the newbie may in fact simply
be playing devil's advocate back.  I always learn from the threads I
have time to read through, someone might have a better way of
explaining something as simple as BGP.

I also learn from each time in front of a white board, explaining the
same thing I might have done 100 times.  And yes Mr. Norton, I am
learning to s-p-e-a-k s-l-o-w-e-r.

  FYI the only recent waste of mail space was the thread on that poor
engineers signature.  I am not sure how that really needed a thread.
That was about as unforgiving a response Ive seen since someone wore
a tie to nanog!

David

--

David Diaz