Do ATM-based Exchange Points make sense anymore?

William B. Norton wbn at equinix.com
Thu Aug 8 15:11:45 UTC 2002

Hi again -

A couple points (based on some interactions with folks privately).

This is not an ATM is bad, or general ATM-bashing paper. It simply applies
the same Peering Analysis that  ISPs are applying to determine if and when
IXes make sense. With the transit prices and transport prices dropping,
this is a reasonable question, worthy of greater analysis than "well, ATM
is expensive so ATM is bad."

To give you a flavor, given a set of assumptions, OC-3 (155Mbps) transport
into an ATM-based IX has an "Effective Peering Range" (where peering across
them is cheaper than transit) of 75-90Mbps,  while given the same
assumptions, Fast Ethernet-based IXes also at OC-3 have an Effective
Peering Range of 40-70Mbps. The "Minimum Cost of Traffic Exchange" for this
ATM solution is $122/Mbps while FastE is $80/Mbps.

At higher capacity the interconnect analysis is more dramatic: Given the
relatively high price point of transport and port cost, the Effective
Peering Range for ATM/OC-12 Peering is a narrow 236Mbps to 375Mbps with a
Minimum Cost of Traffic Exchange of $69/Mbps. The GigE/OC-12 equivalent
range is 109Mbps-466Mbps with a Minimum Cost of Traffic Exchange of $25/Mbps.

What was unexpected in this analysis was the Effective Peering Range Gap.
When an ISP upgrades the  ATM OC-3 to OC-12, the gap between the Effective
Peering Bandwidth of the OC-3 (90Mbps) and the Peering Breakeven Point (the
point at which the Peering Costs are totally offset by the cost savings of
peering vs. transit) at 208Mbps is huge. This 118Mbps gap is where an ISP
should rationally prefer to purchase transit until 208Mbps can be sent in
peering relationships over the ATM fabric, and only then upgrade the
peering connection to OC-12!

There is also an Ethernet EPR Gap but it is only about 40 Mbps, and once at
the GigE/OC-12 capacity, it gets you an Effective Peering Range up to 475Mbps.

In any case, this is the analysis that the paper walks through, and since
the spreadsheets are in the paper, one can muck around with the assumptions
and cost points, key of which are:
      1) ATM OC-3 Port Cost $8000/mo, ATM OC-3 Circuit Cost $3000/mo,
          ATM OC-12 Port Cost $17000/mo, ATM OC-12 Circuit Cost $8000/mo
      2) FastE Port & Rack Space $2500/mo, OC-3 Circuit $3500/mo,
         GigE Port & Rack Price$5000/mo, OC-12 Circuit $7000/mo
      3) Transit Price: if you peer at OC-3, you probably pay $125/Mbps,
peer at OC-12,$110/Mbps
      4) ATM Overhead (aka cell tax): 20%
      5) Assumption that ISP upgrade capacity when avg utilization >75%
Effective Peering BW

Let me know if you violently object to any of these data points. These are
culled from a lot of conversations in the field. The rest of the paper is
simply plugging these data points into the equations and analyzing the results.

Bill