NANOG, its decline in s/n

Derek Samford dsamford at fastduck.net
Thu Aug 8 14:58:45 UTC 2002

I've been a lurker on the list for a good long while now, and recently I
have become pretty active. I think a lot of the pro's post, and the
problem isn't that the people are banished to newbie.dev.nul (I like
that by the way.), but that the people that originally asked the
question endlessly debate the advice that gets posted by people that
really know what they're talking about. This causes a great deal of
frustration, and it's how the endless loops in threads end up happening
(I.e. the deagg thread, or the verio/istop arrogance thread.) I think
this is when people start to get seriously hazed. I really believe that
if people that post a question sit back and honestly listen to the
answers, it will go back to being a true resource for people having
network issues, or reporting problems on the net. That being said,
you're 100% right. I posted this so maybe the newer posters will sit
back and really think about the technical merits of what people have to
say, rather than just argue it because they didn't really think hard
enough on it.

My three cents.
Derek