RFC 2870's applicability (Re: Deaggregating for emergency purposes)

Paul Vixie vixie at vix.com
Wed Aug 7 04:19:01 UTC 2002

> >  "Mildly mis-configured root nameservers"?

> >  Care to explain?
>
> 	We know that some root nameservers are in violation of RFC 2870 ...

RFC 2870 had a lot of cooks, and the end result is somewhat descriptive
of TLD servers but is anywhere from mildly to wildly wrong with respect
to the root servers.

> ... We also know that some of the root nameservers are in violation
> of section 2.6 -- for example, I believe that the networks hosting
> the nameservers operated by the US government and the US military
> routinely block all packets from certain netblocks which they believe
> to be "subversive".

There's no way to change this, really, and one of the ways to not change
it would be to write an RFC.  USGov has its own way of doing things.  I
don't expect anybody to tell them they have to give up their root servers
as a result.  (Except maybe Karl or Jim, I guess.)

> ... Section 2.5 is outright blatantly violated, since there are
> definitely some root nameservers that are listed as being authoritative
> for zones other than "." and "root-servers.net".

We cooperate with the spirit of that provision (which it shares with
RFC 2010, by the way) by not adding any new zones to any server which
is also authoritative for ".".  The current list, as far as I know, is: