U.S. monitoring Internet attacks / RFF Reply

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Tue Aug 6 20:48:23 UTC 2002

Any network ops from the major providers care to comment on what they're
seeing? Not seeing much discussion about this NIPC alert through overt or
back-channels, I'm tempted to place this in the FUDDY fear-mongering
category under Homeland Security Color Code Fuschia.

<SATIRE>

Let's think for a moment - there's not been much activity on the "cyber"
side of Homeland Hysteria -- er, Homeland Security -- as of late, so perhaps
they wanted to let the world know that "cyber" folks were still a part of
the game....?

I mean, this *is* the same entity - America's self-monikered cybercrime
agency  -  that announced the Melissa virus with this on their website:
http://www.infowarrior.org/articles/NIPC.jpg. It took them several hours to
revise the page, by which time we had already received detailed warnings,
signatures, and remediation guidance from any number of other sources. These
guys were the laughing stock of the security community.

 </SATIRE>

If NIPC hascredible, specific information, they should release it. Otherwise
they should keep their mouths shut. Technology operations folks have enough
things to worry about during the day - from getting the latest Mickeysoft
patches deployed to resetting the bumbling executive's passwords to
uploading revised routes onto a Cisco on a longhaul backbone to support a
new customer -- they don't have time to be "extra vigilant" for shadowy
alerts of potential attack-type events that might happen tonight - but might
not - we're not really sure, but be on guard anyway.

(okay, maybe I wasn't quite done with satire yet.)

Memo to NIPC: Give us real, useful information, not this piecemeal drivel
that doesn't do anything but cover your tail -- if something happens, we all
know you can defend yourself and truthfully proclaim "we did post a warning"
- despite its questionable value to your intended audience.

This sort of game might be acceptable in the 'traditional' security and
intelligence community, but the private sector won't pay it much attention
when they have other, more pressing, more current problems that they ALREADY
KNOW ABOUT, security or otherwise.

Incidentially, state and local law enforcement feel the same way about the
repeated FBI terror alerts that essentially say "something might happen
sometime in the future, so stay on alert".....these local police entities
must contend with violent crime, drugs, gangs, and KNOWN problems affecting
their constituiencies and communities on a daily basis -- they'll give more
attention to those day-to-day hometown issues than vague alerts of potential
gloom and doom in the potential future based on potentially unconfirmed
information.

</RANT>

Bah. In the interests of bandwidth conservation on the list, comments
welcomed off-line.  I need more coffee....

rick
infowarrior.org