Deaggregating for emergency purposes

Simon Lockhart simonl at rd.bbc.co.uk
Tue Aug 6 20:42:27 UTC 2002

On Tue Aug 06, 2002 at 04:21:13PM -0400, Derek Samford wrote:
> 1. For the most part, engineers are happy to talk to engineers.
> 2. See one.
> 3. A Tier-1 lives and dies by its reputation. If they let hijacks go
> unnoticed, then that's a black tarnish, and all of NANOG will know.
> Besides they are generally extremely helpful. I speak from experience,
> as I've had to deal with this on a few occasions. Generally speaking, 30
> minutes is the longest you'll have to wait for something as easy to stop
> as this.

Having gone through this last week, I can attest to the fact that this actually
happens this way.

Telstra were advertising a /24 from our netblock. I looked on www.telstra.net,
found the "contact us" page, and called their "Faults" number. I told the
guy who answered the phone what was happening, and he fully understood the
problem, and promised to escalate to their NOC guys. I followed up with an
email for good measure.

Meanwhile, with the help of some "local" friends, I determined that Reach
were the transit provider for Telstra, and called their NOC in Hong Kong.
Despite the language barrier, I managed to get the point across, and he
asked that I confirm my request for them to stop listening to the annoucement
from Telstra. (Fair point, given the language difficulties, and the nature
of my request, I too would have requested an email).

Within 15-20 minutes, I got a call from the Telstra NOC saying they'd found
the problem and recitified it. About 10 minutes later, I got an email from
the Reach NOC saying they couldn't see the problem any more.

All in all, I was happy with the way it was handled. (Although, it would have
been better if Telstra hadn't made the announcement in the first place)

Simon
--
Simon Lockhart                       |   Tel: +44 (0)1737 839676
Internet Engineering Manager         |   Fax: +44 (0)1737 839516
BBC Internet Services                | Email: Simon.Lockhart at bbc.co.uk
Kingswood Warren,Tadworth,Surrey,UK  |   URL: http://support.bbc.co.uk/