Deaggregating for emergency purposes

Omachonu Ogali nanog at missnglnk.com
Tue Aug 6 20:14:34 UTC 2002

On Tue, Aug 06, 2002 at 03:56:32PM -0400, Daniel Senie wrote:

> At 02:50 PM 8/6/02, you wrote:
>
> >Phil,
> >         You would think, after hearing about 30 people with clue+++
> >talk, you may realize that this is a patently *bad* thing and should not
> >be done.
>
> Actually, what the many people have said sounded a lot more like "it won't
> help very much."
>
> >  If your route's are being hijacked you can generally solve your
> >problems in 2-5 phone calls...That's all it's *ever* taken me.
> >1. Call their NOC.
>
> typical response: you're not our customer, go away.

Typical response: You're not our customer, who are you?
I'm Omachonu Ogali with XYZ Networks, and I'd like to speak to
a network engineer regarding a routing problem.
-- Ah ok, please hold.

> >2. If not helpful call their upstream.
>
> typical response: you're not our customer, go away.

See above.

> >3. Call a couple of Tier 1's who are transit for their upstream, and
> >have them filter it.
>
> response: who the hell are you?

Cut the crap, when US/CKS was leaking Digex to UUnet, I
called UUnet, and within 30 minutes the problem was resolved.
Plus when I called, I wasn't representing any company or
calling any magic numbers.

> Until you get back to the people you buy transit from, or peer with, and
> try to get them to take on your cause. When you can't get your own
> upstreams to understand what you're talking about, you post to NANOG, and
> the problem gets solved in short order.

No, most of you post to NANOG about irrelevant drivel that brings
the S/N ratio lower each year, or you post 3-4 hops out of a 12
hop traceroute, or you resort to NANOG instead of calling your
upstream first, or you talk about implementing the most wacked out
routing policy to exist on the planet.

> This tends to be the sad reality.

Yes, the above tends to be the sad reality.

--
Omachonu Ogali
missnglnk at informationwave.net
http://www.informationwave.net