Deaggregating for emergency purposes

Jeff S Wheeler jsw at five-elements.com
Tue Aug 6 20:12:22 UTC 2002

On Tue, 2002-08-06 at 14:59, Phil Rosenthal wrote:

> Yes, it is lovely when things work out like that.
> My one experience with this problem was with Telia announcing my more
> specifics, and their US NOC referred me to their Europe NOC, and there
> no one spoke English.  They are a tier1, so they don't have any upstream
> to call.  It took 20 phone calls and more than an hour to get to someone
> who cared enough to do anything about it.

Surely, Phil, it will take longer than an hour for IRR updates to reach
tier1 router filter configuration files.  Are you advocating that we all
pre-emptively populate the IRRs with /24s for all our mission critical
networks?  If that becomes fad, IRR growth will quickly become a serious
concern, and its utility will be reduced.

In addition, many networks will not accept /24s from the former B-class
space which is now being assigned by the various regional registries.
Advertising /24s might help the problem, or it might not.  Cluttering up
the IRRs is not the answer to someone blackholing your network.  Rather,
use administrative channels or forums such as NANOG to get the rogue
advertisements withdrawn at their origin or filtered by their upstreams.

--
Jeff S Wheeler