Deaggregating for emergency purposes

E.B. Dreger eddy+public+spam at noc.everquick.net
Tue Aug 6 19:54:09 UTC 2002

PR> Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 14:59:15 -0400
PR> From: Phil Rosenthal

PR> My one experience with this problem was with Telia announcing
PR> my more specifics, and their US NOC referred me to their
PR> Europe NOC, and there no one spoke English.  They are a
PR> tier1, so they don't have any upstream to call.  It took 20
PR> phone calls and more than an hour to get to someone who cared
PR> enough to do anything about it.

What if I local-pref Telia up or have a shorter as-path via them?
them?  And, ignoring local-pref and as-path, the older routes
would have beaten your newly-added more specifics.  Note also the
delay time for IRR-based filters to update.

What you suggested rarely will help anything.  It always will
cause a mess.  Messes are harder to maintain, and cause problems
of their own.  The Internet needs to be built on well-designed
systems, not kludges.

I think everyone here wants a workable answer.  I also think that
Bill (I don't know him, but I think it's safe to say he's very
clueful, and personally respect his credentials) is much closer
to the right answer.

Several people have pointed out flaws with IRR cruft.  Please
look at Bill's paper, and try pointing out flaws in it.

Don't make <Internet - you> bear the weight for something that
can be solved with <you> carrying the load.  This theme sounds
familiar...

Alas, this is becoming circular and repetitious, as Omachonu
noted.  My last post unless I have something new to add.

Eddy
--
Brotsman & Dreger, Inc. - EverQuick Internet Division
Phone: +1 (785) 865-5885 Lawrence and [inter]national