Deaggregating for emergency purposes

E.B. Dreger eddy+public+spam at noc.everquick.net
Tue Aug 6 18:38:19 UTC 2002

PR> Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 14:12:41 -0400
PR> From: Phil Rosenthal

PR> I only have 10 /24's that are absolutely mission critical to
PR> keep up.  We have scaled back our IP usage, and we are a lot
PR> more efficient than we were before about the IP space.

So explain how this is superior to DNS entr(y|ies) stating who
your peers and upstreams are.  And there's nothing to say that
one could not specify allowed filters in DNS, too.

If someone wants me to advertise 192.168.7/24, and DNS indicates
the proper netblock is 192.168.0/19 and their ASN is not origin
or adjacent hop, I'll be suspicious.  What I do from there
becomes a policy question; I probably would contact the IP block
owner to verify the request.

PR> We are pretty well connected, so I would bet we would have a
PR> shorter AS path than many other networks (particularly ones
PR> that would make a mistake like that).

I see.  Clueless and malicious people never buy from the big
ASNs.  If said large ASNs don't filter, you still have a problem.
If they do, your problem is closer to the edge... the as-path to
reach the "real" you will be longer than the imposter at those
points.

Eddy
--
Brotsman & Dreger, Inc. - EverQuick Internet Division
Phone: +1 (785) 865-5885 Lawrence and [inter]national