BBC-2 Story on Sept.11

Rob Pickering rob at pickering.org
Tue Aug 6 10:54:26 UTC 2002

I happened to flick over to this right at the start, and thought the
content was actually quite factual for this kind of programme.

They obviously concentrated on Voice, lots of interviews with Verizon
and AT&T types, lots of footage of the West Street CO which must have
been 60-70% of the content.

The bits that did touch on data seemed to actually be quite accurate
if very brief, correctly "getting it" that the Internet didn't suffer
any major problems in the immediate aftermath, and that e-mail was a
major communications mechanism, although individual news content
providers were swamped. They also had a good description of how a
SONET ring works, so they must have had a decent technical advisor.

There was a small segment on the New York Times website, and the
steps they took drop graphical content to try and keep things running.

Not too bad overall, I normally switch this kind of thing off as the
content is usually hopelessly inaccurate but watched this right up to
the end.

--
    Rob.

--