NSPs filter?

Chris Woodfield rekoil at semihuman.com
Mon Aug 5 03:19:35 UTC 2002

IMO, Commercial ISPs should never filter customer packets unless
specifically requested to do so by the customer, or in response to a
security/abuse incident.

Consumer ISPs are much more likely to have clauses in the AUPs that are
enforced premptively via packet filtering - antispoof filters (honestly,
antispoof filtering is, IMHO, the one expection to my "commercial ISPs
should not filter" rule), port blocks to prevent customers running
servers, outbound SMTP blocks to off-provider systems to stop direct-to-MX
spamming, ICMP rate limiting, et al. All of which are fine by me as long
as they clearly assert their right to do so in their AUP - that is, as
long as there's a comparable provider I can use instead.

-C