cRTP on WAN routers

Heath_Dieckert at Dell.com Heath_Dieckert at Dell.com
Mon Apr 29 17:53:04 UTC 2002

Is anybody aware of a vendor that can supply a layer three device with the
capability to pass 2000 or more simultaneous cRTP flows over ATM DS3 without
running out of CPU?  Each flow is 12Kbit/sec (with RTP header compression).
Specifically I am talking about G729a traffic with a 30ms payload.  Cisco's
7200 VXR NPE400 seems to be falling far short of our requirements and the
larger chassis such as the 6500 doesn't support cRTP over ATM.  I haven't
tried the 7200 NSE-1 yet for this application because we have had tons of
issues with those in an earlier unrelated deployment.

Feel free to respond offline if necessary.

Heath