Large ISPs doing NAT?

David Conrad david.conrad at nominum.com
Mon Apr 29 16:46:51 UTC 2002

On 4/29/02 9:08 AM, "Beckmeyer" <beck at pacbell.net> wrote:
> Marshall et al,
>
> It's a lack of IP Address Space

Last I looked there was plenty of address space.

> - and the numbers I gave - 10's of
> thousands are probably a bit on the small side - in short order it will
> be multiples of 100,000 IP addresses.  To start with, I'm willing to
> think in terms of 10's of thousands spread over a handful of "POPs".

All you need do is document usage according to your RIR's allocation
policies and you'll get the address space you justify.

> The application is GPRS (aka 2.5/3G cellular) and each Internet
> connected user or some major subset of them will likely wind up with an
> address on their mobile device.

There have already been numerous discussions between the RIRs and the GSM
association(s) regarding address allocations for GPRS.

Have you asked your RIR about this?

Rgds,
-drc