If you were in a government Cyber-warning center

David Lesher wb8foz at nrk.com
Sat Apr 27 04:16:45 UTC 2002

Unnamed Administration sources reported that Randy Neals said:

> Most recent railway builds have been multi conduit projects with up to 12 x
> 1.5 inch HDPE conduits plowed in by rail mounted cable plow. Your correct
> that steel conduit is used at bridge crossing or other exposed locations.

I call the HDPE stuff "duct" and reserve "conduit" for material that
passes the magnet test; YMMV. BTW, a 18" piece of HDPA is a useful
tool in some neighborhoods.. even BEFORE it's filled with ballast.

> Apparently by placing the conduit 3-4' down and relatively close to the rail
> (ie: 2-3' from the rail) the steel rail will act somewhat as a shield to
> minimize exposure of the cable in a derailment. (ie: the car has to rip up
> the trackage and move the dirt to get to the cable)

That's quite rational. But I'm still glad I don't have to dig that.

There are pictures of ATT with a honking big digger wheel going
across Kansas et. al. I keep saying to myself "This is a BIG
country and there are LOTS of rocks down there..."

The pole crew in front of my house "Seaned" on the 5" water
main. To get to it, they pulled out most of a glacial boulder the size
of a Ford Van and carted it away.

A host is a host from coast to coast.................wb8foz at nrk.com