root zone file

Simon Higgs simon at higgs.com
Fri Apr 26 22:27:00 UTC 2002

At 05:32 PM 4/26/2002 -0400, Matt Zito wrote:

Replacing the hints file with the top level zone speeds up lookups, and
removes the burden from the root servers:

zone "." {
       type master;
       file "root.db";
};

However, the best way to do this is to AXFR the root zone off of the root
servers (note this is the ORSC root configuration and *NOT* the ICANN root):

zone "." {
         type slave;
         file "root.db.slave";
         masters{        199.166.24.12;
                         216.13.126.116;
                         199.166.28.10;
                         204.80.125.130;
                         195.117.6.25;
                         199.166.31.3;
                         199.166.31.250;
                         199.5.157.128;
                         204.57.55.100;
                         213.196.2.97; };
};

Irrespective of whether you agree with the contents, this method is a very
clean and efficient way to reduce the load on the root servers.

>I really don't want to start any discussions about the relative merits of
>the ICANN vs. ORSC vs. New.net vs. anything root zones, but I feel like I
>need to mention that the main zones on this page are for the ORSC root
>servers, not the ICANN ones.  The ICANN zone file at the bottom is the hints
>file, not the root zone.
>
>Thanks,
>Matt

Best Regards,