If you were in a government Cyber-warning center

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Fri Apr 26 21:26:45 UTC 2002

On Fri, 26 Apr 2002, Steve Gibbard wrote:
> Are train derailments common events that don't get much press coverage (or
> maybe that don't get much coverage unless it's a passenger train), or was
> this an especially bad week?

According to federal records and news reports, train derailments are
up about 15% even if you take into account the growth in rail traffic.

Thursday happened to be a particularly notable day on the network.
Imagine if you were in the brand-new government Cyber-warning center
yesterday.

   UUNET network-wide problems (train cuts cable or IS-IS problems?)
   Earthlink 1.5 million customers out of service due to a power failure
   MSNBC web site off the air due to a SYN attack
   Cable & Wireless has master ticket open on their network
   Explosion in NYC
   LA Times leaks CIA warning about China hackers attacking US

What would you do?  Would you call anyone?  Who would you call?

Hint: the answer is not Sean.  I can usually gauge how the network is
doing by the size of my Inbox.  If I have no e-mail or several hundred
messages; something happened.