Selective DNS replies

Avleen Vig lists-nanog at silverwraith.com
Thu Apr 25 18:21:52 UTC 2002

On Thu, 25 Apr 2002, Clayton Fiske wrote:

> Wouldn't you automatically have to have multiple zonefiles per domain
> in order to have multiple views? With bind9, my setup is:

Not really, because you define the views inside the zonefiles, instead of
defining the sonefiles inside the view. Each zone has full control over
what is a zone for it and what isn't.

Bind's currnet datapath looks like this:
Incoming query -> Check src address -> Enter view -> perform query

What I think it SHOULD be like is:
Incoming query -> Check domain being queried -> Enter zone file -> Perform
query -> If 'view' is defined against the RR, check src address and reply
appropriately.

Better?