The Myth of Five 9's Reliability (fwd)

Mathew Lodge mathew at cplane.com
Wed Apr 24 21:21:35 UTC 2002

This is the sort of thing that can be discussed forever, but here's an
anecdote anyway:

At my previous employer, we hired a lot of people who had spent their
entire careers either running or developing equipment for TDM voice
networks. Their view of five nines for voice was that the network was "up"
if the voice signaling infrastructure worked as designed -- not that you
could actually get calls through the network. So, for example, if your long
distance call could not be completed because bearer trunks were down, there
wasn't enough capacity etc. etc. then the voice network was still "up" for
five 9s calculation purposes even though you couldn't use it for its
intended purpose.

How many times have you received the "All circuits are busy" message? Some
would say that was the voice network failing to function -- the Bell-shaped
heads said it was working as designed. They were clear that what mattered
was the signaling integrity of the network, not the application of voice
connectivity itself. So, if you can get dial tone but not place a call,
that's five 9s reliability at work.

When applied randomly to the Internet, I suppose that means if you can dial
into a RAS and establish a PPP/IPCP session, but the RAS' connection to the
Internet is down, then the service is up :-)

Cheers,

Mathew

At 04:51 PM 4/24/2002 -0400, Art Houle wrote:

>How to calculate uptime and get 5 9s
>
>-do not include any outage less than 20 minutes.
>-only include down lines that are actually reported by customers.
>-when possible fix the line and report 'no trouble found'.
>-remember that your company is penalized by the FCC for bad ratings, so
>don't report any problems that you do not have to.
>
>On Wed, 24 Apr 2002, Pete Kruckenberg wrote:
>

> > >From the Canarie news mailing list.
> >
> > I don't think I've ever experienced five 9's on any telco
> > service, I have always assumed I must be the one customer
> > experiencing down-time, and the aggregate was somehow five
> > 9's. How is network reliability calculated to end up with
> > five 9's?
> >
> > Pete.

| Mathew Lodge                 | mathew at cplane.com     |
| Director, Product Management | Ph: +1 408 789 4068   |
| CPLANE, Inc.                 | http://www.cplane.com |