Selective DNS replies

Simon Lockhart simonl at rd.bbc.co.uk
Wed Apr 24 20:00:49 UTC 2002

On Wed Apr 24, 2002 at 08:55:15PM +0100, Avleen Vig wrote:
> Is there any DNS server currently availible that can reply to DNS lookups
> based on the source IP address?

Yes, all those global load balancing products. (e.g. Cisco Distributed
Director). Alternatively, some people (myself included) have written
their own DNS server for use within their organisation which does the
same thing. I'm not aware of a freeware solution to this.

> Yes, this would be for directing users to a 'local' server hosting
> www.example.org (or something similar).
> Yes, this is not the best way of doing it I know :-)

It's the best way to do global server load balancing, as I see it.

Simon
--
Simon Lockhart                       |   Tel: +44 (0)1737 839676
Internet Engineering Manager         |   Fax: +44 (0)1737 839516
BBC Internet Services                | Email: Simon.Lockhart at bbc.co.uk
Kingswood Warren,Tadworth,Surrey,UK  |   URL: http://support.bbc.co.uk/