Sorta OT: IP Multicasting

Torsten Blum torstenb at vmunix.org
Tue Apr 23 08:15:07 UTC 2002

On Mon, Apr 22, 2002 at 11:41:24PM +0200, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

> Yes, but how do I get those multicast packets to flow over my network? It
> seems the Mbone has dropped of the face of the net and everyone still
> doing multicast is doing it natively so if your transits aren't multicast
> capable you're out of luck.

You are a customer. Request it from your transit provider. If that still
doesnt work, take your money to someone who offers what you want.

In many cases the lack of customer demand prevents deployment in ISP networks
ways too often IMHO. Even if there are engineers who want to deploy it the
lack of demand from paying customers makes it a low priority task if
something happens at all.

I also experienced that people who want multicast from their upstream give
up too soon. Sales and account reps are sometimes "confused" about multicast.

Installing tunnels won't solve the problem. I even believe the opposite is
true: There is less "pressure" on the transit ISPs from their customers to
deploy multicast and offer it to their customers.

 -tb