bulk email

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Mon Apr 22 15:11:09 UTC 2002

On Mon, 22 Apr 2002 09:32:04 -0400 (EDT) David Lesher <wb8foz at nrk.com> wrote:

> Likely insufficient.
>
> Save your hide by getting verification on every entry; i.e:
>
> 1) Get request.
>
> 2) Send email to alleged requester.
>
> 3) Do nothing unless/until you get back a confirming "yes, I do want"
>    reply.

and log and save everything. if there's a web form, then log the ip address
that the request came from. provide enough infrastructure that when you get
a complaint, you can rapidly provide the records.

and the "urban legend" thing is incorrect. AOL has in some cases had mailing
list providers sign agreements governing their behavior. that's the only
one i know of, but there could be others.

richard
Richard Welty                                         rwelty at averillpark.net