is your host or dhcp server sending dns dynamic updates for rfc1918?

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Sat Apr 20 05:49:43 UTC 2002

On Fri, 19 Apr 2002 22:14:37 PDT, Simon Higgs <simon at higgs.com>  said:

> Not yet. But the common thread to this is that every domain that vanishes
> (and causes email to bounce) has got a bogus MNAME entry (i.e. MNAME is
> unroutable). This isn't a root specific problem as legacy root users have
> reported this problem alongside ORSC users. The bogus MNAME may be a red
> herring, but it's what we're looking at as a possible common cause.

Hmm... Bork-ware box boots, gets a DHCP address, tries to stick it into the
AD tree at the MNAME address, and loses.  It then tries to send mail,
and the remote end bounces it because it doesn't have a valid PTR entry?

Yes, a DHCP'ed mail server is silly, and rejecting mail entirely because
of a missing PTR is silly - but this is a world where sites reject mail
that has a 'MAIL FROM:<>' and then wonder why things dont work....

Just 2AM speculation, but I've seen stupider failure modes.. ;)
--
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Computer Systems Senior Engineer