is your host or dhcp server sending dns dynamic updates for rfc1918?

Daniel Senie dts at senie.com
Fri Apr 19 19:34:02 UTC 2002

At 03:08 PM 4/19/02, you wrote:
>As for the Win2k/XP dyndns updates; it's a great thing when one uses it,
>if you don't simply either ignore all updates
>from these boxes, fix them with that simple clickety click option, some
>nice registry script on user-login and never forget the
>power of policies.

Explain how to fix everyone else's machines in the world. I host the
domains owl.com and jove.com, among others, for clients. Apparently many
people around the world would LIKE to own one or the other of these, and so
program owl.com or jove.com into their Win2K machine setups. Those machines
then bash the crap out of my name servers with dynamic updates.

We changed the MNAME in the SOA for those two domains to something that
resolves to 127.0.0.1, and that took care of our load issue.

PLEASE understand the problem is NOT something people running the name
servers have control over!

This is a totally irresponsible implementation on the part of Microsoft. It
really reminds me of SNMP Management stations which would do network
discovery by walking the entire IPv4 address space. Implementers of the
products did not think through their designs, and many other people suffer
for it.

Daniel Senie                                        dts at senie.com
Amaranth Networks Inc.                    http://www.amaranth.com