is your host or dhcp server sending dns dynamic updates for rfc1918?

Ukyo Kuonji kawaii_iinazuke at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 19 14:34:30 UTC 2002

>From: Eric Germann <ekgermann at CCTEC.COM>
>
>If people set up their Win2K networks right, it wouldn't be a problem.
>Simply install the MS DNS server, point their clients at that, then all the
>updates go there.  And if that DNS server has connectivity to the 'Net at
>large, it will resolve all their other requests too by chasing the chain
>from the root down.

Great, just what Microsoft would like to see happen.  In order to do this,
EVERY DNS server that answers queries from end users (or servers) would have
to be a MS DNS server.  Might as well just replace the Internet with MSN, no
offence to those that drive the deathstar.

What I AM trying to figure out is why some win2K systems do this, and some
don't.  Did MS fix/break something with SP2?