CAR

Ken Yeo kenyeo at on-linecorp.com
Thu Apr 18 16:20:56 UTC 2002

Hi Nanog,

Scenario:

Transits -----(router A)Backbone(router B)----- Customers

We applied Cisco CAR at the edge routers (B) in the Backbone to rate limit
inbound and outbound traffics to/from Customers. If transmission rate is
higher than the rate limit threshold, IP packets are being dropped by router
B. How do we prevent the excess IP packets to consume the transit links and
the Backbone? Here is my understanding:

-For TCP traffics (HTTP, FTP), TCP senders will stop sending packets when
the TCP windows threshold is reached.
-For UDP based audio/video trafffics, if the applications use RTSP and
H.323, RTCP/H.245 will signal the sender to slowdown the transmission if the
receiver lost packets.

Did I miss anything? How about UDP traffics that are not using RTSP/H.323?

Thanks.

Suan "Ken" Yeo
Network Engineer
Aurum Technology