31 bit ptp link addressing?

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Sun Apr 14 06:49:51 UTC 2002

On Sat, Apr 06, 2002, Adrian Chadd wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Just (mostly) out of personal curiousity - is anyone here running any
> PtP links using 31 bit prefixes rather than the /30's we're all happy
> with?
>
> If you go "huh?" take a look at rfc3021 - "Using 31-Bit Prefixes on
> IPv4 Point-to-Point Links"

Summarising the few private replies I've had:

* a few people did reply saying that they're using it successfully
* someone reported that it worked successfully on 12000 and some 7500 series
  routers, running a 12.0S train IOS
* someone else reported that any IOS train that has been eligible to receive
  "new features" in the last 9 months will have /31 bit PtP support
* I can add that vendor N's broadband concentrator doesn't allow you to
  add a /31 (they actually let you assign up to /30, then /32 to an interface :)

I hope this is of some interest to the list members.
If anyone is running /31's on PtP links on vendor J's equipment, I'd like to
hear from you.

Adrian

--
Adrian Chadd			"For a sucessful technology, reality must
<adrian at creative.net.au>	  take precedence over public relations,