genuity - any good?

David Luyer david at luyer.net
Sat Apr 13 02:24:50 UTC 2002

Mark Kent wrote:

> On the leaking more specific routes topic (ip prefix lists):
> I've verified that Above.Net lets me do this and Genuity does not.
> But Genuity has said, today, that they are working on doing it.
>
> To address Sean's point about mistakes turning one /16 into a zillion
> entries, is there any way to allow only some specified maximum number
> of routes from a bgp neighbor?  I know that I'ld be happy if my
> upstreams gave me a buffer of, say, 10 entries above my typical number
> of aggregates.

Yes there is - neighbor <x> maximum-prefix <number> <warn-pct>

We use it in conjuntion with exact filters, "just in case" someone makes
a mistake on a filter.  As well as using it on peers who we know should
be advertising, say, 4000 routes - we'd limit them to 5000, because if
they grow any more than that we want to know anyway :-))

The annoyance is there's no way to block on your side a known upstream
or peer limit, and if you exceed the limit your upstream or peer needs
to do a manual reset.

What many desire is a matching (presumably configured slightly lower)

  neighbor <x> maximum-prefix-sent <number> <warn-pct> [limit|shutdown]

to be able to prevent exceeding the limit and reset or restrict prefixes
on your side, so you can fix the problem without having to contact all
your peers and upstreams if something does go majorly wrong.

David.
--
David Luyer                                     Phone:   +61 3 9674 7525
Network Development Manager    P A C I F I C    Fax:     +61 3 9699 8693