OT? cRTP header compression

Nathan Stratton nathan at robotics.net
Thu Apr 11 21:36:43 UTC 2002

On Thu, 11 Apr 2002, Mathew Lodge wrote:

> Perhaps you are not using equipment that offers comfort noise generation
> when VAD is enabled. On a Cisco 2600/3600/5300, make sure you have comfort
> noise generation turned on, and the gain set to a level such that your
> users can hear it.

I still stand by my comment that customer notice and that is why I don't
use it.

> In a perfect world, you wouldn't bother with VAD, cRTP, longer sample
> sizes, expensive CODECs or any of the other technologies for optimizing
> bandwidth. But these are all valid technologies when bandwidth is expensive.

Correct, I provide 2 voice lines and data over a 192k DSL circuit using
only 1 AAL5 PVC because I don't own the DSLAMs. If you play that game you
need to worry about header compression. I am not a big fan of G.729 or
other low bitrate codes for business voice services.

> You can increase the sample size without affecting perceived voice quality,
> because perceived voice quality is a step function of latency. Human
> listeners don't notice voice latency until it passes a threshold, when
> suddenly it becomes very apparent and perceived quality (measured by MOS)

Well I am more of a PSQM guy myself. :-)

> plummets. Various standards bodies argue about where that threshold is, but
> my experience to date suggests it's around the 150ms mark -- your mileage
> may vary. Doubling the standard Cisco voice sample size (20ms) to 40ms only
> adds 20ms to end-to-end latency, halves the packet rate and doubles the
> ratio of payload to header.

Yes, I use 9 ms vs 21 ms most of the time because I want to keep end to
end delay as low as possible. Sure I save 8 bytes if I use 21 ms, but I it
requires me to up my jitter buffer. The other then you need to think about
is packet loss. If I lose a 9ms same I may notice, if it is 21 ms I am
MUCH more likely to notice.

> Secondly, when link cost is high, it is often prohibitively expensive to
> buy circuits with higher data rates. And when this happens, serialization
> delay (the time it takes to get a packet on the wire) starts to become a
> major issue -- and that is directly impacted by the ratio of payload to
> header size.

Yes, that is a big problem when you play with low speed links. I run voice
and data over one PVC on a DSL circuit. If the user hits a web page and
sucks a 1500 byte packet it will take over 93 ms to get over that link. I
can't live with that amount of jitter so I fragment to a specified MTU
that I can live with per link and then interleave the fragments between
the voice samples after I compress the header.

><>
Nathan Stratton				CTO, Exario Networks, Inc.
nathan at robotics.net                  nathan at exario.net
http://www.robotics.net                 http://www.exario.net