NANOG costs

Ukyo Kuonji kawaii_iinazuke at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 10 15:22:00 UTC 2002

I could have sworn that I looked this question up on Nanog's web page a year
ago, but I couldn't find it there.

The cost of the conference goes to a number of things:

1) 14 people on the Merit staff are involved in organizing the conference.
I am sure that some of the monies goes to paying expenses they incur setting
it up, if not to help offset their salaries for the time they spend.
2) Insurance - I am sure that merit and nanog have to cover some sort of
insurance to cover damage caused by attendees of the conferences.
3) Misc expenses not covered by the host of vendors.

Also, you must realize that not everyone gets hit with the $300 charge.
Hosts and presenters get free admission, and students get a greatly reduced
fee.

As other people say, this is probably the best value for your money of
anything else.  You get to hear what is going on, you get to put faces to
names (and voices), and you get to talk shop with others in your field
without all the "business" people around saying what you can and can't say.