packet reordering at exchange points

Jesper Skriver jesper at skriver.dk
Tue Apr 9 21:42:45 UTC 2002

On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 06:00:31PM +0000, E.B. Dreger wrote:
> > A large IX in Europe have this exact problem on their Foundry swiches,
> > which doesn't support round robin, and is currently forced to moving for
>
> Can you state how many participants?

100+

> With N x GigE, what sort of [im]balance is there over the N lines?

a few links overloaded, which other practically doesn't carry traffic.

> Of course, I'd hope that individual heavy pairs would establish
> private interconnects instead of using public switch fabric, but I
> know that's not always { an option | done | ... }.

If A and B exchange say 200 Mbps of traffic, moving to a PNI is for sure
a option, but if both have GigE connections to the shared infrastruture
with spare capacity, both can expect the IX to handle that traffic.

/Jesper

Work:    Network manager   @ AS3292 (Tele Danmark DataNetworks)
Private: FreeBSD committer @ AS2109 (A much smaller network ;-)