[Q] BGP filtering policies

Henry Yen henry at AegisInfoSys.com
Tue Apr 9 19:10:32 UTC 2002

We were recently assigned a /22 from UUNet in conjunction with some
transit we're buying from them.  The space is inside their superblock,
65.242.0.0/14.  We are concerned that our route announcement of this
block would be filtered out by some other providers, as it's not
class C/swamp space (or even class B space for that matter).
Verio's current policy, for one, indicates that this would be so.

This is of particular concern to us as our little network encompasses
several physical partially-meshed locations, with a mix of varying
bandwidths both upstream as well as intra-location.  Traffic Engineering
is what we think is a reasonable (business) approach to address our
flexibility needs, and so we're trying to move to address space(s) that
would be least likely to be BGP filtered.

We've asked for a different block from UUNet but the request didn't
meet with success; UUNet suggested that any problems encountered
as a result of this allocation could probably solved by e-mailing
any NSP whose traffic interchange with us might be negatively
affected (unlikely, to be sure, but still...), and would then
change their filter (I'm unconvinced of this scenario).

I briefly browsed the NANOG archives, and didn't see this issue discussed
recently.  Have the BGP filtering policies for "most" ISP/NSP's been
relaxed to the level of "accept /24's from class A (ARIN-allocated) space"?
Am I mis-reading Verio's posted policy?  Is there anyone from UUNet
who might choose to comment?  Is there something else I'm misunderstanding?

--
Henry Yen                                       Aegis Information Systems, Inc.
Senior Systems Programmer                       Hicksville, New York