NANOG on Trial

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Mon Apr 8 19:26:18 UTC 2002

> Recently my personal system has been attacked by someone from the IRC
> channel #nanog on EFNet. This along with multiple instances of
> showing/providing pornography to minors as well as defamation of
> character/slander as well as numerous other civil and criminal items
> have really plagued my past 3 months. I think it's time to look into
> fighting back.
>
> Other than to warn others of the pending danger of dealing with the
> immature people found within that channel, I would love to know what all
> legal recourse I have in this matter. I have a lawyer but I am not quite
> ready to sue.

Why Nick Catalano was banned from #nanog:

<NickCatal> dgold: Dsl works via ATM, thats layer3

<NickCatal> it's layer4 in the way that it uses POS instead of ATM standard..

<NickCatal> FDDI can only support up to, maby, T1 speed..

<NickCatal> t1 = 1464kbps..

<NickCatal> I always thought FDDI was frame relay..

<NickCatal> OC-192 over POIP is as dumb as you get it..

<NickCatal> if this business works out.. the first thing I am doing is
having my engineers give me some way of making a layer 4 nap.. even if
it's pure bullshit.. and then I am presening it @ Nanog

<gavroche> DS3 IS NOT FIBER || <NickCatal> gavroche: of course it is..

<NickCatal> UUNet has the world's worst designed network

<NickCatal> I go on the UUNet backbone, and I'm like.. where's the core!?

<NickCatal> I think we can make money offering gig-e at the cost of a T1

<NickCatal> naa.. my job in the new company is to make ideas and provide a
public face to the company.. a 14 year old selling enterprise hosting
looks good on Leno

<NickCatal> Cogent and InterNAP can be mixed and merged.. Cogent didn't
fail. Cogent has almost no expenses. it costs next to nothing to be
Cogent.. <NickCatal> they own their network.. they own their equipment..
they don't pay for it.. there are no leased lines.. <NickCatal> they most
likely don't pay for transit..

<NickCatal> I am about to call my lawyer about this and file lawsuits
against 95% of the #nanog room to find out who has taken advantage of my
system

<NickCatal> ...also with logs of everything said in #nanog I have over 50
cases of showing pornography to a minor..

'nuf said...