Load balancing in routers

Chris Woodfield rekoil at semihuman.com
Mon Apr 8 16:30:31 UTC 2002

If by "round-robin" you mean by destination only, then this is correct. However, if
you strict per-packet load sharing regardless of flow, then CEF does have this
capability, although the default behavior is the flow-based load sharing you describe.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios120/12cgcr/switch_c/xcprt2/xccefc.htm#33184

However, IIRC, code stability issues have plagued this feature in many IOS
releases; I recall Intermedia selling a "bonded T1" product that used this feature, and
supporting it was...not pleasant.

-C