ANN: 0.1-final release of Panoptis DoS/DDoS detection software

Constantinos A. Kotsokalis ckotso at grnet.gr
Mon Apr 8 09:19:07 UTC 2002

Hello all,
  first of all I would like to thank everyone who downloaded and tested the
beta-5 version of Panoptis. After killing that last bug (which was still in
beta-5, contrary to my belief) the first stable release (0.1) is out. I have
it running for 5 days, it works like a charm. You can download it from:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/panoptis/panoptis-0.1.tar.gz

Please keep in mind that:
1. The peer module (thread) is not activated yet, it needs testing. However,
that does not affect a node's ability to detect attacks.
2. The NetFlow V8 code has not been tested *at all*. It probably isn't
working correctly. V1 and V5 should be ok.
3. Unfortunately it is still working only on Linux (tested on kernel 2.4.x,
glibc 2.2.x). The ports to Solaris and FreeBSD are still worked on.
4. I can make no promises as far as its effectiveness is concerned. It is
working fine for me at the moment though.

If you try it and find any problems, please let me know (ckotso at grnet.gr). I
would also like to listen to ideas anyone may have, regarding future
directions and implementation of new functionality.

  Thanks,
    Costas

Constantinos A. Kotsokalis || ckotso at grnet.gr
Greek Research and Technology Network
Tel: +30 10 7474243  &&  Fax: +30 10 7474490